Tuesday, October 6, 2009

God Will Work His Plan

My word of encouragement for today comes from an 85 year old woman who called my house a few days ago by mistake. This beautifully spirited woman called looking for her daughter who once held the same phone number. That day I had actually been praying for comfort and help concerning God's divine plan for my life. The trouble came when trying to find out exactly how, in my own strength, to carry out God's calling, anxiety rose. I simply could not figure out just how 'I' could do it. How could I possibly do the expected? Where would I get the money? Who would help me with the children?
Heart heavy, mind cloudy, I knelt to pray. "Oh God, I need answers. Surely if you have called me to do this, You must have a plan. Surely you know the way although I do not. Help me see things the way you see them, and incline my heart to hear your voice." Somehow, I knew that I would receive the answer I needed quickly.
Just then the phone rang. 6:23 am. Who could possibly be calling at this hour? Her voice was soft and sweet as though it had been an angel. "Oh, I apologize, but no one lives here by that name. You must have the wrong number." But she proceeded to tell me who she was and her agenda: " I was looking for my daughter. Today is her birthday, and I just wanted to hear her voice and wish her a happy birthday. I'm 85 years old, and I don't have much longer to live. My daughter is 60. She use to have this number, but I can't find her."
As we hung up the phone, my heart ached for her. For some reason, I knew she was telling the truth. Somehow I could feel her heartbeat through the phone, but what could I do? I know! I should call her back and pray with her.
Truly a bold thing to do, but I mustered up the courage to do it. Hum, no answer, but then a return call. "Hello," I answered. "Hello," she replied, someone just called me." "Yes,"I said, "You just called my house looking for your daughter." "Oh yes," She responded, "do you know where she is?" "No maam, I don't, but God does. Can I pray with you?"
I could hear the tears well up in her voice as she answered, "Oh yes!" We prayed, then she spoke and I will never forget those words. "Why am I complaining to you," she said,"when the plan has already been set? I know God has a plan. I'm black, and I'm ugly,but God has been good to me. 'He' will work His plan."
And truly He has. Since then she has found her daughter. And me? Well, I am comforted by the knowledge that not only does God have a plan, but 'He' will work that plan in each of our lives if we will let Him.

For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Philippians 2:13

No comments:

Post a Comment