Friday, October 9, 2009

Perfect Timing

I was 12 years old, a big turning point in every girl's life (although rarely acknowledged). It was summer time, and I was going back to San diego, CA, my birth town. Sea World, the beach, the zoo, and best of all, a trip to L.A. for Disney Land! What could be more fun? But little did I know, God had bigger, better plans, even greater than I could have expected.
This particular weekend my girl cousins were spending the night at my aunt's house with me. Excitement was in the air, and I could hardly wait. My grandma, Mama as we called her, had just left to return to AL. I was to stay for a while longer, then return alone on the airplane like a big girl. I always loved going to San Diego. There was so much to do, and the weather was always perfect.
My cousins arrived,and we talked and played most the night until we could stay up no longer. The next morning, quite naturally, we were up and ready to go. The sun was shining, and the breeze was cool, then suddenly a change of plans.
"Ring! Ring!" the phone sounded. "Hello," I answered quickly. "May I speak to..." Did I hear right? Was the call for me? The handsome male voice on the other end of the phone began to speak again, "Hello." "Oh, yes... this is she. May I ask whose calling?" I had learned my manners from my 'proper' California uncle and aunt, the parents of the cousins who were there now eagerly listening . " This is your brother," the voice replied. "Excuse me!..." I could hardly believe my ears.
I had heard I had brothers and sisters but had never had any contact with them. They were on my dad's side. I had only ever seen pictures of my dad. Tall and handsome, but I had never even so much as heard his voice. I had dreamed of one day meeting him and my siblings, but it seemed a far off fairytale.
"Yes, this is your brother," the voice responded. This was the answer to the question, 'How could a perfect day get better?'!!! The conversation was far from boring as we pried into one another's lives. Of course, arrangements were made, and that day was like no other day I had ever had in San Diego. I also met my younger sister who lived in San Diego as well and heard my dad's voice over the phone for the first time in life that I could remember on that special day. Dad lived in Philadelphia, but now I could actually believe that my dream of meeting him would come to pass. I will never forget how I screamed when I found out that this young man was really my brother. At twelve years old, who could guess, I realized I could actually someday have nieces and nephews of my very own. I will always remember the way my heart pounded, the way his face looked, and the time we shared together thereafter. Surely, I will always be grateful to God for His perfect timing and His divine plan. Although other people's mistakes may affect our lives, God's goodness and love for us will never fail.
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven: Ecclesiastes 3:1
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment